The Bronze Level lays a firm foundation to build a healthier workplace.
1. A health needs assessment should be offered to the workforce.
2. Raise health awareness with the workforce, through three local, regional or national health campaigns or events, based if possible on the outcome of your health needs assessment and provide employees with other health information on a regular basis.
3. Positive mental health and well-being to be promoted, for example through employee support, training and awareness-raising.
4. Healthy food choices to be available if there is a canteen, restaurant or vending machine. Otherwise some mechanism for ensuring employees are aware of dietary issues and healthy food choices are actively promoted.
5. The company must comply with current smoke free legislation. This will also include links to the local stop smoking service for any smokers employed who wish to give up.
6. Absence rates and causes to be collected and monitored.
7. General awareness of how health can be affected by work activities and assessment of risk.
8. A mechanism should be in place for ongoing consultation and communication with staff on relevant workplace health issues. Where there is a recognised trade union this should be through an appropriate agreement with them.
9. Welfare to be addressed – drinking water, washing facilities, clean toilets, eating facilities etc.
10. The workplace environment should be conducive to health.